A common requirement is to set the default value of a form field to today's date, only when a user enters a new record. In edit mode, the field value should remain the same. This post walks through how to carry out this task.
One of the most exciting announcements at the Build Conference was Express Editor - the feature that builds apps from PDF or hand drawn documents. How does this feature work and how well are theresults? In this post, we'll find out.
This post provides a simple walkthrough of how to highlight form values that have been changed by a user.
This post describes a solution to a question that occasionally arises - how to append text to a field when a user saves or edits a record through a form.
Forms - How to calculate values (eg sums and products) and store the results in SharePoint or other datasource
A simple and basic question that often arises is - how do I perform calculations against fields and store the results in SharePoint or a database? This post walks through how to carry out this task with forms.
SharePoint - How to programmatically set and clear single select choice items in a combo box on a form
There is often the requirement to programmatically set and clear combo box values with formula, and the syntax to do this may not be entirely clear. This post walks through a use case scenario of how to set and clear combo box values depending on the value of another control.
A problem that some app builders encounter is that on edit forms, clearing the value of a datetime field doesn't work. This post describes this issue in more detail.
If you want to convert a display form to an edit form, there's unfortunately no way to do this through the app designer. However, we can accomplish this through code and this post describes how to carry out this task in more detail.
A handy feature is the ability to make a copy of an existing record. The typical use case scenario of this is to speed up, or to simplify data entry. This post describes a technique that we can use to carry out this task.
For business apps that are designed to facilitate collaboration, there may be the need to display the details of the currently logged on user, or some other specific user. This post walks through how to display user details on a canvas app form.
Screens that display many fields can look messy when many of the values are incomplete or empty. We can tidy up the appearance of these screens by hiding empty fields, and this post describes how to carry out this task.
When building data entry screens, we can simplify data entry by adding a feature to select all, or to unselect all true/false values on a form. This post walks through how to build this feature.
It can be difficult to build edit forms that are based on collections, because the designer disables the button to add fields to the form. This post describes this behaviour, and explains how we can configure an edit form to save and update rows in a collection.
When building apps, a 'best practice' is to minimise dependencies between screens. Therefore, it's best not to set the item property of a form to a value that's defined on a gallery (or some other control) outside of the screen. This post describes this topic in greater detail.
A common requirement is to set default values on data entry screens. In this post, we'll cover three common requirements. How to adapt a form to apply default values when a user creates a new record, how to set a default value based on other values on a screen, and how to set default values through the click of a button.
- Editor - How to see changes that other app-makers are making in real time
- Copilot - A cautionary example of how Copilot can write formula that's completely incorrect!
- How to open component libraries - component library option missing in app menu 2023
- Apps - The easiest way to determine the OS and browser details of the end user device
- DevOps - Quickstart guide to setting up DevOps and enabling multiple app builders to simultaneously edit canvas apps
- Bug - What to do when the Power Apps editor shows an empty grey screen
- Apps - How to launch a child Power App in the Windows version of Power Apps
- Controls - How to build a component for users to enter numbers with a set of connected slider and text input controls
- Dates - How to format date day numbers with suffix (st nd rd th)
- Dataverse - How to build an edit form to set the parent account for a contact record
- How to split the URL parameter name and values from a hyperlink
- Dataverse - How to use a checkbox control a set a yes/no field in Dataverse
- Sample App - Check out this great example of a calculator app
- Data - How to Validate UK National Insurance Numbers
- Dynamics 365 and Power Platform User Group Q3 2023 meetup - A Night of Networking and Learning
- AI - Tips for creating Dataverse tables with Co-Pilot
- SQL - How to call SQL Server Stored procedures more easily with the help of Dataverse plugins
- Bug - What to do when the data section of the Power Apps Maker portal doesn't work