Forms - How to calculate values (eg sums and products) and store the results in SharePoint or other datasource
A simple and basic question that often arises is - how do I perform calculations against fields and store the results in SharePoint or a database? This post walks through how to carry out this task with forms.
SharePoint - How to programmatically set and clear single select choice items in a combo box on a form
There is often the requirement to programmatically set and clear combo box values with formula, and the syntax to do this may not be entirely clear. This post walks through a use case scenario of how to set and clear combo box values depending on the value of another control.
A problem that some app builders encounter is that on edit forms, clearing the value of a datetime field doesn't work. This post describes this issue in more detail.
If you want to convert a display form to an edit form, there's unfortunately no way to do this through the app designer. However, we can accomplish this through code and this post describes how to carry out this task in more detail.
A handy feature is the ability to make a copy of an existing record. The typical use case scenario of this is to speed up, or to simplify data entry. This post describes a technique that we can use to carry out this task.
For business apps that are designed to facilitate collaboration, there may be the need to display the details of the currently logged on user, or some other specific user. This post walks through how to display user details on a canvas app form.
Screens that display many fields can look messy when many of the values are incomplete or empty. We can tidy up the appearance of these screens by hiding empty fields, and this post describes how to carry out this task.
When building data entry screens, we can simplify data entry by adding a feature to select all, or to unselect all true/false values on a form. This post walks through how to build this feature.
It can be difficult to build edit forms that are based on collections, because the designer disables the button to add fields to the form. This post describes this behaviour, and explains how we can configure an edit form to save and update rows in a collection.
When building apps, a 'best practice' is to minimise dependencies between screens. Therefore, it's best not to set the item property of a form to a value that's defined on a gallery (or some other control) outside of the screen. This post describes this topic in greater detail.
A common requirement is to set default values on data entry screens. In this post, we'll cover three common requirements. How to adapt a form to apply default values when a user creates a new record, how to set a default value based on other values on a screen, and how to set default values through the click of a button.
How can we apply conditional validation to a form - for example, if the status is closed, a closed date must be entered? In this post, we'll look at a quick and simple way to add this type of conditional, mandatory field validation to a form.
- SharePoint - What to do when there's a mismatch between times in Power Apps and SharePoint
- Formula - What to do when the If statement doesn't work?
- Formula - Boolean And / Or operators - What is the order of precedence?
- SQL - Storing timezone independent time values with datatimeoffset
- Dates - How to display or convert Excel date serial numbers
- Text - How to convert a character to its ASCII numeric value
- Text - Examples of how to use the Char function, and a reference of ASCII codes
- Calendar - An easy way to add events to Google calendar
- Controls - How to set the data source of a Combo Box to a comma separated string
- Learning - Ignite Power Platform Developer Challenge - Chance to obtain a free exam this November 2021
- Microsoft Ignite 2021 - Highlights and summary of Power App announcements
- Outlook - How to add, edit, delete, and list Outlook calendar events
- Apps - Migrating OnStart formula to use App.StartScreen/ Fixing existing apps that implement deep linking
- Calculations - What mistakes can happen when we fail to use round brackets correctly in calculations?
- Walkthrough - Solving maths puzzles with Power Apps
- Error - Unable to modify Dataverse tables with error message, Language id should not be null
- Formula - Transposing/converting rows to columns- an almost impossible task?
- Charts - How to create donut charts