Blog - Recent Posts
A common requirement is to export and import sets of SharePoint lists, and to maintain the lookup data. This post describes how to carry out this task.
When adding search capabilities to an app, a very common requirement is to enable users to search by multiple fields and to return all records if no search criteria is entered. This post describes how to carry out this task.
When we attempt to filter large SharePoint lists, the operation may fail with the error "The attempted operation is prohibited because it exceeds the list view threshold". This post describes this error, including how to fix this problem.
There's sometimes the requirement to create a data entry screen that either updates a record if it exists, or to insert a new record it doesn't exist. This post walks through how we can carry out this task.
The syntax to attach files to an email message can be complex. This post describes how to use the Office 365 Outlook connector to send emails with attachments. It covers how to attach files from a SharePoint record, files that a user selects using an attachments control, images, audio recordings, and multiple combinations of files.
There is often the requirement to show or hide controls depending on other control values, or on a button click. This post describes how to carry out this task.
In general, mobile/4G data is more limited and expensive compared to Wifi. Therefore, a question that some app builders want to know, particularly in cases when they start exploring Power Apps is, how much data does a typical Power Apps use?
They can often be the requirement to return all working days in a month, particularly in cases where we develop timesheet or reporting type apps. This post describes the formula to carry out this task.
When we build Power Apps to extend Dynamics 365, it's important to be aware of 'restricted tables'. These are tables that are fully accessible with a Dynamics 365 license only. This post provides an introduction to this topic.
On some rare occasions, we may encounter an error page that contains the message "sorry, there's been a disconnect". This post highlights possible causes of this error, and how to fix it.
A frustrating problem that app builders sometimes encounter is the inability to format numbers correctly. This post examines what to try if you find yourself in this situation.
A frequent requirement is to convert HTML to text. This issue arises frequently when app builders attempt to display values from SharePoint rich text columns. This post summarises the methods to display rich text content in Power Apps, and how to convert HTML to text.
The map control offers the ability for users to annotate maps with shapes and labels. This post provides a summary of how this feature works, including how to save and to retrieve shapes from a data source.
When building apps professionally, an important step is to document our work. This post examines how the "Power Apps Review Tool" can assist this process.
SharePoint is a very popular data source with Power Apps. A common requirement is to move data and lists between sites, or different tenants or organisations. In this post, we'll walk through how to use PowerShell to carry out this task.
- Email - How to send mail with the Gmail connector
- Teams - The easiest way to add a message to a Microsoft Teams channel
- Controls - How to enter and display Office/Microsoft 365 email addresses with a combo box
- Gallery control - How to set no selected item in a gallery
- Dates - 4 tips to make sure that dates display correctly in UK "dd mm yyyy" format
- Forms - How to select-all / unselect-all checkbox or toggle controls on a form
- Excel vs SharePoint vs Dataverse vs SQL Server - updated 2021
- Troubleshooting - How to use the 'app checker' to fix a broken 'service desk' template app
- Connectors - How to use the Microsoft Teams connector to add messages/meeting invites to Teams
- Dates - Examples of how to calculate dates relative to today
- Performance - Why is LookUp better than First/Filter?
- Troubleshooting - How to recover corrupted screens
- Forms - How to set the data source of a form to a collection
- Forms - The best practice for setting the data item on a form
- Data - How to make a copy of a record
- SharePoint - How to export and import lists and maintain lookup relationships
- Search - How to filter by multiple fields and return all records when no search term is entered
- SharePoint - how to fix list threshold errors when working with very large lists